Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Make Habits that Grow

Every single day, we are dealt tasks and deadlines wherein we need to make progress on and eventually finish regardless of how we feel.

You don't feel so good, tough luck, you still need to work on that new article.
You know you have a big celebration coming up and just want to skip that quality control training - think about what helped you achieve success. Exactly, it was the habit of checking, rechecking and evaluating your work/ product.

Habits drive human actions. Habits are accomplished without much thought put into it. This is when you are in your own version of autopilot. Take for example driving. When you just started to learn how to drive, you needed to take note of every single step before being able to even get the car out of the garage. But as you repeatedly  drove to and from school/ work - you are able to do it. The motor engrams needed to safely drive a car were already established. How about smoking as a habit? Going to the gym? Checking and updating your social media accounts? Meditation?

You on autopilot can be both productive and destructive. There are really good and bad habits. We can always say that labeling your actions and habits depend on the person, and I agree.

However, for the purpose of this series of articles - I would like to focus on (good) habits that grow into something more beneficial to you.

Think of a small action as a seed that you plant and eventually grow into a tree. This kind of analogy might become a new article to write. Just a thought.

Sidenote: I've been doing a 30 Day Challenge of Meditation - a 30 day challenge I started on the October 14th and have been doing it for seven days already.

So you plant the seed of meditation - which to me, even if I haven't read a lot of journals about its benefits - I've read articles from magazines and blogs - has helped me, personally, to be more composed (present Tony) during times of supposedly panic and disarray before (past Tony).
It can be when so many things - reports, evaluations, observations, meetings, homework and activities - are piled on me and I just go at them one at a time or in a more organized and productive manner. Rather than before, that I had the impression that as long as I was busy - I'm making progress on my deadlines. I'm able to accomplish more and sometimes even have time to spare versus just trying to beat the deadline. And I'm attributing this to my daily meditation.

This is an example of a simple action, that when practiced daily, will show promising changes and will eventually become a habit that will continually grow into something even more.

What action do you think if you start today and work on to become one of your (good) habits will grow into something very helpful in the future?

Tame your Ts,

Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment